Importance of Undertaking an Undergraduate Research Study
While pursuing our undergraduate studies, most of us are so bustled in the new structure of academics, that we do not even know how research is an option for us or that it even existed, let alone how to get involved in it. Most of us think it is something way out of our reach or it is exclusively for people pursuing their higher studies, for instance, their PhDs, etc. Maybe, that is the reason why many of us do not get involved in research.
We have also noticed that institutions of higher education have a way of attracting the most curious minds. Undertaking a research study helps boost our intellectual capabilities of finding answers and answering questions.
It is pertinent to know about the numerous benefits of getting involved in research, for undergraduate students. Incorporating a research component in a sound academic foundation enables students to develop independent critical thinking skills along with oral and written communication skills.
The research process impacts valuable learning objectives that have a lasting influence on undergraduates preparing for professional service. Perhaps, this is why there has been an initiative to include research as an integral part of the National Education Policy, 2020, realising its immense academic and professional benefits. Thus, it becomes imperative to undertake a research study as early as while pursuing your graduation.
Key benefits of doing a Research Study:
- It assists in professional grooming – Research experience allows you to choose an area of interest, understand published works, learn to balance collaborative and individual work and jump start the development of your career-oriented skills. As undergraduates, through exposure to research, many students discover their passion for research and continue to pursue it via graduate studies or faculty positions.
- It provides one to one mentorship – Undergraduate research can provide students with a continuing source of one-on-one mentorship, that is otherwise unheard of in most undergraduate curricula.
- It helps to develop human analytical thinking – In order to produce any type of academic work one has to analyse the materials and be well organised.
- It stimulates human intellectual development -The human brain generates new knowledge only in the process of analytical thinking. So, each time a student resolves a research problem, they develops their brain and sense of logic.
- It teaches one the art of academic writing – It is impossible to produce a piece of academic work if you do not strictly follow the academic style rules. You are simply obliged to do it. One may have any career but having acute writing skill helps one throughout their career and professional life.
- It trains you to be curative – When you perform research, you are essentially trying to solve a mystery—you want to know how something works or why something happened. You will prepare yourself to answer any question no matter how challenging.
- It trains you in undertaking team work – Research is often performed in teams, and one must learn to balance a collaborative effort with what one is capable of accomplishing independently. Interdisciplinary work is difficult to teach in the classroom, thus, learning in a team is a bonus.
- It helps in exploring and exposing one to different career fields – Research undoubtedly helps one to explore career fields. Experience in a research setting is invaluable. Exposure to research guides some students toward research after graduation.
Thus, we realise that there are tremendous benefits and opportunities in pursuing a research study. It is important to know that there are many good professional organisations that play a pivotal role in opening your doors to a research experience. They help in explaining the process and the available employment opportunities and also de-mystify the procedure and ignite a passion for research. Last but not the least, they also promote taking up an undergraduate research study by guiding those who might not know how to get involved. Therefore, it is important that one chooses a good organisation and the right guidance for undertaking a research study.
At IDEA we have both! Join us and begin your research journey!
Research Internship Programme
₹ 7500/ for four months
- Research Methodologies
- Survey Design and Implementation
- Data Compilation and Analysis
- Policy Research
- Field Visits / Educational Excursions
- Report Writing and Publications